Cooking Rice is the easiest and most comforting activity when in the kitchen but it is equally tricky if the ration of Rice to water is not correct. Cooking soft, fluffy and perfect rice is an art. Rice is a staple food in many households across the world. With more than 450,000 varieties of rice in the world cooking each one of them can be a bit challenging but once you get the hang of it it’s just a cakewalk and as the varieties so are the cooking methods of “how to perfectly cook rice”. We have already shared “How to cook perfect basmati rice in stovetop” and now we are going to share “How to cook rice in the microwave”. The beauty of it all is that no matter how and what kind of rice is cooked – taking a spoonful bite of moist and soft rice it is one of the most comforting and satisfying feelings.
Learn how to cook perfect rice in the microwave from our expert home chef Vaishali S, who also runs her blog Kitchendocs who once cooked rice in the microwave just to experiment but ever since she did that, she is hooked to this method and here is her 5 reasons why cooking rice in the microwave is a life-saver
1) It’s faster – 12 minutes! – Yes, it just takes 12 minutes to make 1 cup of rice and you need not panic if your guests are on the doorstep and the main dish of the table, ie rice is still not ready. All you need to do is just cook the rice in the microwave.
2) Don’t stand near the stove to count the whistles – If a pressure cooker method is the most traditional way of cooking in your house, then counting the number of whistles becomes the responsibility of almost every member of the house and in case there is a conflict, expect the burnt rice on your plate. Microwave saves everyone from handling this responsibility.
3) You won’t be able to tell the difference! – There is no difference while you cook in microwave or stove so why waste time and effort.
4) You can cook the rice while your stove is occupied with other dinner components are simmering away! – Its Dinner time and as the dishes are simmering over the stovetop its a good idea to cook rice in the microwave so that as soon as the curry is ready, steaming and hot rice is ready too. No need to wait for rice to go next and then again reheat the curries.if you want to eat hot food.
5) Your busy life eases out when rice is in the microwave – if you are a busy mumma who is running behind her kid and managing the corporate meeting or a chef dad who loves to experiment in the kitchen, a teenager who is health-conscious and cannot binge on potato chips, your life will be easy if you start using microwave to cook rice.
So before you get going here are some housekeeping details that you should consider before we move onto the actual recipe.
a) Always use glass bowls in the microwave, they are safe and do not leach toxic chemicals into your food while microwaves work their magic. Especially when you are going to be cooking for a longer time and not just warming up food. So grab your trusted Borosil, Pyrex, anchor or whatever glass bowl (microwave safe) that has a lid and cook rice in it.
b) Different rice varieties might turn out a bit more cooked depending on the type you are using. so experiment with one variety of rice first, get the hang of it and then try something new. Also, microwaves work on different powers, you might have to increase the time if you have a smaller or low wattage microwave. Another important secret to microwaving rice is to add the right amount of water. Too much water will make the rice soggy so measurement if the key to success
Let’s get started and cook the perfect, fluffy rice in the microwave.
- Rice – 1 cup
- Water – 1.5 cup
Add dry rice to your microwaving bowl or container.
Wash and rinse the rice with fresh water a couple of times or until the water runs clear. Drain. Add 1.5 cups of water to the rice. Another good rule of thumb is to have water level 1 inch above the rice level – just right for cooking rice in the microwave.Cover the bowl loosely with a lid (do not fit the lid, just loosely cover it) and microwave on high for 10 minutes.
Cover the bowl loosely with a lid (do not fit the lid, just loosely cover it) and microwave on high for 10 minutes.Let the rice sit, undisturbed after the cooking time is done for at least 2-3 minutes. Fluff with a fork and enjoy!
Let the rice sit, undisturbed after the cooking time is done for at least 2-3 minutes.
Fluff with a fork and enjoy!
About the Author: Vaishali S, an avid home cook, mom, wife, and researcher by profession shares her passion for cooking on her blog TheKitchenDocs. Born and brought up in India with two other sisters, Vaishali learned and loved to cook which she inherited from her mother. Her love for cooking grew, even more, when Vaishali moved to the United States to pursue her Ph.D. with her one-year-old daughter. The experiments to understand American cuisine and fusion gave her wings and she started documenting all her experience in her blog ” TheKitchenDocs” where she shares healthy, fusion recipes and all that she cooks with love for her family.
Follow Vaishali on Plattershare